Monday, October 22, 2007

Driving, Sleeping, and Worrying

Perhaps you noticed I didn't say picture taking! Had a great opportunity around 1:00 this afternoon but didn't think about it until just now! Oh well!



Left Asheville this morning under overcast skies and a bit of drizzle. Lee was driving and soon she had the wipers on in earnest and got some serious rain! Or so they tell me. I had assumed my usual back seat position. Slumped over, mouth open, and snoring a little bit. When I awoke just before reaching Hickory, South Carolina, I was told I had a phone call back a few miles. Man! I didn't realize I was that sound asleep. The call had been from my daughter, Lisa in tears saying that due to fire danger, they were evacuating their home in San Diego and perhaps I could call her. That woke me up! I called her immediately and they were on their way to a Pat Brown's on Coronado, Island. Pat and I attended Watsonville High School together and here she is 53 years after our graduation giving shelter to my family. Thanks so much, Pat, and special thanks to your daughter who has the spare rooms they are using! That has occupied my thoughts a lot today. The last time I tried to call them the circuits were all busy. I know they are safe but it still a huge worry.


The reason for the stop in Hickory was for Lee and Judi to go to one of the HUGE furniture showrooms. Many companies that I had heard of, and many that I hadn't, had showrooms all under one roof and over a thousand different lines of furniture were being shown. Lee has been looking for a small dining table for a long time and after checking out most of the showrooms had just about given up. I had plopped down in an easy chair and was waiting for them to come back when Lee appeared with a big smile on her face. Eureka! She had found it! All the details were taken care of, order placed, and we were back in the car and headed for lunch. Of course only thought just a few minutes ago that I should have taken a picture of the new table and chairs. Found a restaurant and while Lee and Judi ordered lunch, I popped into a hair cutting place next door and got a sorely needed trim.


Back in the car, I got the back seat again and slept on to Chapel Hill. Getting ready for bed and then on to the coast tomorrow. We are visiting an old friend of Lee's in New Bern, North Carolina and then we will be heading for Charleston. We really are in the South.

Love from the Gotta Go Girls

No comments: